13 March 2010

Sleepless in Terrigal

Oh Benny. Benny, Benny, Benny - what are we going to do with you?

Poor boy is having some weird sleep issues recently. He gets very restless in his sleep - rolling around a lot, which is not a big deal, but then also getting up & crawling around the bed or pulling himself up on the headboard & talking away. Sometimes he appears to be asleep when he does this, sometimes he seems wide awake. Most of the time I can lay him down beside me & give him milk & he immediately goes back to sleep calmly but it starts up again. This isn't all the time, it's happened maybe 3 times but last night was terrible. I finally gave up on sleeping around 3am because he was either wandering around or attached to my milk jugs so I was exhausted. Marcel ended up rocking him around 4am & we gave him some Panadol just in case he was having teething issues that were waking him up. I stole him around 4.30am for more milk & rocking, then settled him sound asleep in his crib where he slept until 7am. I slept in the Catnapper chair right next to him, which is pretty darn good place to sleep I have to say! He only woke up for a few minutes at 7 & I rocked him right back to sleep until almost 9am.

A hearty pat on the back to you if you managed to get through that boring sleep log! Long story short, it may be time to move the boy to his own bed so we can all sleep a little more soundly & my boobs can have a break at night. It's going to be painful, I know. We'll miss him in the bed & he is going to be pisssssed at us! I do realise that the whole letting him cry thing is a perfectly healthy way to sleep teach & I pass absolutely no judgment on anyone who can do it but I won't be trying that out myself. I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do besides put him in his bed & run to my own. When he wakes up, do I feed him or just try to settle him? Can I start with just putting him in his bed but still doing the night feeds THEN deal with that next? Why does it sound like I'm going to be getting less sleep in this whole thing? We have a few things going on at the moment so we might have to wait to start this grand experiment but I'm getting my head into it now so I'm ready when the time comes!

I've got a lovely smelling cinnamon roll bread cooling in the kitchen right now & a glass of cold water with lime beside me so at least I'm starting the day off right! I'm going to try to ignore the many hours of missed sleep last night & focus on what we've got planned for the day - have to pick up the ginormous mirror we bought on Friday (it was on clearance), which has the potential to go very stooge-esque & we get to meet a friend's newborn baby, Thomas! There's nothing in life that a glimpse of a baby can't solve. That's really not accurate at all but I am very excited to meet little Tommy boy!

So, how am I going to handle the current stress & bad sleep? I will follow the wise words written for another Tom, Mr. Tom Hanks in a movie called Sleepless in Seattle (Oh Ashley, you witchy woman always find a way to bring this full circle): Well, I'm gonna get out of bed every morning... breath in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breath in and out...


And don't worry about me, I'm really not that stressed - good things are happening & I'll give you an update later. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment